Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Turn It Up Tuesday: John Mark McMillan

John Mark McMillan. 
He and Jon Foreman are the two people responsible for stirring in me the desire to worship (musically), like no other. You may not know it, but the song David Crowder made famous, "How He Loves" was actually written and sung by John Mark. When I first head the story behind it,  I got goose bumps.
 Rattled my bones a bit. 
The song has sentimental meaning for him, who wrote it following the death of a dear friend who, during a church staff meeting, prayed out loud "If it would shake the youth of a nation, I will give my life today." McMillan was awakened in the middle of the same night by a phone call; the friend had been killed in a car crash. He wrote How He Loves the next morning as, "a celebration of a God who would want to hang with us...despite who we are".

God sees the heart. No matter the words your lips speak, the action you take to prove a point -He sees beneath. If you mean it, He'll hold you to it. It's an amazing thing. 
And scary.
David Crowder's version made me cry, but John Mark's version (where he actually chokes up at the end),
 made me believe.
~
I was jamming out to his album The Medicine on my way home from work today and was again, reminded, of the depth and width of the love of my Papa. JMM's version of How He Loves is on his album The Song Inside The Sounds Of Breaking Down. ALL his albums are impressive though, so I suggest you hit up Spotify or iTunes and have a listen.

 Beware though... 
his words were intended for change.

I am
Olli

*To enjoy more hits by John Mark McMillan, just click on the link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment