Tuesday, November 15, 2011

in which: i seek falcons

                                                                   

At the beginning of my 6th grade year, my English teacher announced that we would all be reading through every Harry Potter book that'd come out so far (3 or 4 I think). I really didn't like Harry Potter. This was something mostly influenced by my parents I think, and a previously favored teacher who didn't care for the books either. Regardless, the prospect of drudging along with my class over the next several months in something that sounded a waste of my 6th grade time, didn't exactly thrill the senses. Later that week, a friend at lunch told me that I could exempt myself from the project if I got my parents to sign a note saying that the literature went against our religious beliefs. I wasn't sure if they'd go for that but as soon as I got home I announced that my school was making me learn about witchcraft.
Bingo.

The next day I presented my superior with the document.
She was not pleased.
I was then promply led to the library where she impatiently skimmed over the fiction section, handed me an award winner, said to return to class in an hour and left me. I looked down and examined the cover, "My Side Of The Mountain" by Jean Craighead-George; a young boy awaited a falcon to alight on his arm. I wasn't sure what to make of it but was glad to be out of the classroom, so I sat in a nearby corner and opened to the first page.

People... this book would be the beginning of a life long appreciation. Birds of Prey, Falconry, living off the land. It became other things too, but that's another story. Surely, it is still my favorite book. And today, I'm heading down to the local Bird Of Prey Conservatory to get an application (you have to interview with them just to volunteer). I'm more interested in handling owls and hawks than I am falcons these days, but I won't say their mystery still doesn't peak my curiosity. I attend falconry demonstrations wherever I can find them! Say a prayer for me in my endeavors please...

I am
Olli

No comments:

Post a Comment