Saturday, June 30, 2012

in which: one can only listen to so much smacking

Well, the Leal's have been off in New Hampshire and it's been me and Shaun for the last three weeks. Watering the lawn, drinkin the good juice (coffee), and about to settle into a good movie with my love.
:)

Shaun... in usual form.
~
Took Shaun to Pet Barn and got him some treats. He picked his own of course, including carrying a rawhide to the cashier! The funnest part was seeing his watch the fish. His head darted back and forth and he kept pawing at the glass... so cute.
~
I also made a trip to the Library up the road. It's HUGE! And beautiful. Pretty remarkable actually for being in such a small town. I was looking for a book my old BSF group is going to start reading together, seeing as we still want to keep in touch over the summer. And naturally, while I was there, I happened upon a book I'd seen before called The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food and Love by Kristin Kimball. I read the prologue and bit of the first chapter and it took me almost an hour before I could tear my eyes away. However, there was an elderly black woman sitting a row over that had the unfortunate (and annoying) habit of smacking her gums periodically. It took me a minute to figure out where the noise was coming from at first but once I figured it out... lord have mercy. IT WAS THE ONLY THING I COULD FOCUS ON. I literally found myself anticipating the next smack and then wincing when it came.
Aye.
Eventually I realized that she'd stopped. Thank goodness. I picked up my phone to see what time it was and then glanced up at the woman again. There she was rifling through her purse when what should appear in her hand? A MINT. I think I literally whispered,"Oh hell no...", slammed my book shut and made a beeline for the front desk to check out. No more smacking for these ears!


I am
Olli

No comments:

Post a Comment